Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Sharing Interests
So you might be wondering why I am creating this blog....I sometimes wonder myself! I have one special person in my neighborhood, Jay, who spends his days riding his bike, collecting gadgets, explaining that autism is alright, and trying to connect with people. He is happy to share all of his knowledge on bikes, computers, tools that you may or may not know, Elvis, remote control cars, and anything else he may have tucked in his pockets or back pack. He wants to connect with someone, anyone, but struggles to understand all the obvious and small nuances which go along with successful communication. He has so much to offer, but has so much difficulty connecting and sharing his passions and interests...which is why I am creating this blog. We can all learn to understand the needs individuals like Jay has, take a minute to see his treasures, and allow him to share his interests with us. He has many gifts to share, but is unsure, unconfident, and unaware of how to do so. I have been lucky enough to work with many children and their families who struggle with this fight daily. The desire to connect, the attempts to try, and the failures that leave both the children and their familes confused and unsure of what to do next. I hope through this blog I can share some insight on how these families and their children feel, give some ideas and support to encourage connections that are safe and rewarding, and share some of the experiences I have been a part of that make my heart smile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment